Directory » ANDREW KWOK
Dr. Andrew Kwok is an assistant professor in the Department of Teaching, Learning, and Culture. His research focuses on preparation and support of classroom management for beginning teachers, particularly those in or interested in going to urban environments. He also has research interests around teacher preparation as well as beginning teacher induction, coaching, and mentoring, stemming from his work as a co-principal investigator of research with the Center of Teacher Innovation within the Riverside County of Education and partnered with the University of California, Riverside. He explores how different support systems can impact beginning teacher success and retention. Previously, he received his doctorate from the University of Michigan in Educational Studies and worked at California State University, San Bernardino.
PROFESSIONAL AND VOLUNTEER ORGANIZATIONS
2017-Present: University Induction Partner; Co-Project Investigator Center for Teacher Innovation, Riverside County Office of Education
2016-Present: California Council of Teacher Education Member CCTE New Faculty Support Program Award (2016-2017) Institutional Delegate (2017-2018)
2011-Present: American Educational Research Association Member Division K: Early Career Faculty Pre-Conference Award (2017)
2014-Present : American Educational Research Association Special Interest Group: Classroom Management Treasurer; Webmaster
2014-Present: Journal Reviewer Review of Educational Research; Educational Researcher; Urban Education; Journal of Educational Research
EDCI604. E-LEARN CLASSROOM MGMT
EDCI685. DIRECTED STUDIES
EDCI692. PROFESSIONAL STUDY
EDCI715. ACAD WRIT INTL GRAD
TEFB371. DYN & MGMT MLCLTRL ENVRN
2. Kwok, A. (2018). Promoting "quality" feedback: First year teachers' self-reports of how they develop as classroom managers. Journal of Classroom Interaction, 53(1), 4-18.
3. Kwok, A. (2017). Relationships between instructional quality and classroom management for beginning urban teachers. Educational Researcher, 46(7), 355-365.
4. Ronfeldt, M., Kwok, A., & Reininger, M. (2014). "Teachers' preferences to teach underserved students." Urban Education. 0042085914553676.
5. Kwok, A. & Songer, N. (2013). "Hearing urban classrooms: Teachers and student perspectives of an urban science curriculum." The National Journal of Urban Education and Practice. 7(1), 31-43.
6. Ronfeldt, M. Reininger, M., and Kwok, A. (2013). "Recruitment or preparation? Investigating the effects of teacher characteristics and student teaching." Journal of Teacher Education, 64(4), 319-337.
7. Peters, V., Dewey, T., Kwok, A., Hammond, G., & Songer, N. (2012). Predicting the impacts of climate change on ecosystems: A high school curricular module. The Earth Scientist, 28(3), 33-37.
FORMER DOCTORAL STUDENTS
Ambyr Ruth Acton Rios, Ph.D. (Summer 2022)
Megan Elizabeth Svajda-Hardy, Ph.D. (Spring 2022)
Kwok, A. (2019). What are teachers19 classroom management actions throughout their first year? Urban Education, 54(3), 339-367. Impact factor: 1.706; H-index: 48 https://doi.org/10.1177/0042085918795017
Mitchell, D., Kwok, A., & Huston, D. (2019). Induction Program Structures as Mediating Factors for Coach Influence on Novice Teacher Development. Professional Development in Education. Impact factor: 0.835; H-index: 29 https://doi.org/10.1080/19415257.2019.1643394 2.Kwok, A., Van Schagen, A., ^Laufy, G., & ^Ventura, K. (2019). Exploring the impact of stability ball chairs on challenging elementary student behavior. Journal of Classroom Interaction. Impact factor: 0.166; H-index: 5
Kwok, A. (2018). Promoting quality feedback: First year teachers' self-reports of how they develop as classroom managers. Journal of Classroom Interaction, 53(1), 4-18.
Kwok, A. (2018). What are teachers' classroom management actions throughout their first year? Urban Education. https://doi.org/10.1177/0042085918795017
Teacher Induction Program Center for Teacher Innovation (CTI) within RIMS Region
PI. University of California-Riverside - Riverside County Office of Education (State)
2019-07-01 — 2022-06-30
2019-07-01 — 2022-06-30
EVALUATION PROPOSAL To Educate All Children (TEACH) Beginning
Teacher Induction Program Center For Teacher Innovation (RIMS BTSA)